Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not Geeky Enough

I am nearing the end of the last ball of yarn for my sweater.  Overall, it looks pretty good so far!  I like that it's all knitted in the round.  After the horror that was the seaming of my lace cardigan, I look forward to only having to weave in the ends to finish.
However, it bothers me.  It's just....well.....not geeky enough.  Have you ever known me to knit anything standard, 100% by the pattern?  Certainly not, or if I have, consider it a momentary lapse of (in)sanity.  No, this sweater definitely needs some geekification.  But what?  I've been considering duplicate stitching a 'pi' symbol on the front, and fair-isle knitting as many digits of pi that will fit around the bottom.  My only problem with that is that my fair-isle tension is significantly tighter than my regular tension, and I'm worried that it won't be stretchy enough.  I was also thinking of perhaps duplicate stitching on some computer code or physics equations.  Or maybe I should go back to the video games realm of geekery?  So many possibilities.  Got any suggestions?  Here's me trying on the sweater, in-progress.
And speaking of video games, I have heard rumours that the Nintendo Wii is going to be dropping in price very soon.  This is a console I have been looking at for a while, but it's always been too expensive.  Maybe soon it will actually drop into my price range!  In particular, with the imminent cold and rainy weather, I know I won't want to go running in the mornings, and if I buy a gym membership on campus I'll have to drag my clothes and towel with me to work all the time.  Not an ideal situation.  However, if I had a Wii, I could get Wii Fit Plus which is coming out next month with even more fun games and activities!  I do have a $50 Future Shop gift card from switching cellular phone providers this month, and we'll have to see what my budget looks like, but there might just be a Wii in my future!  
First though, I need to get a TV.  And a bed.  And a kitchen table.  And a bookshelf.  And fix my computer which may have died beyond all repair.  I did get a free bike recently (through a very bizarre string of events....ask me sometime, and I'll tell you the story), but it needs a lot of work.  When will I be moved into my new place?  Well, at the rate things are going, it might take us another month to get all the remaining stuff we need.  Until then, it's sleeping on the floor/couch, and borrowing wireless on the laptop to watch low-resolution youtube videos, sitting on top of unpacked boxes.  At least we finished painting all our rooms though!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Super-cute sweater. I see no need to geek it up.... then again, I'm not you.
And... yay for no seaming! ^.^

Johanna said...

Very pretty color on the sweater! I know so very little about knitting, but I like the idea of putting the pi symbol in there somewhere. :)

Also, Wii Fit is awesome! My brother bought it for my mom last Mother's Day, and the whole family enjoyed it all summer. But those other things do seem like they might be more of a priority... alas.

Aesderina said...

if your worried about gauge, you could increase the amount of stitches. Or you could do a symbol just at bottom corner of the sweater, block it and I think it should be fine.
you could always add buttons to it with geeky symbols!!

Arzu said...

Oooh, I like the button idea....I might just do that when I make a button-up cardigan. There are a few patterns I've been eying. Now that I've finished my first 'real' sweater, the category doesn't seem quite as intimidating as it did before.

Ilix said...

You could use the mario charst you made along the base, and go up a needle size or two to compensate for the increase in tension.... or space invaders.... or the tri-force. Check out the Neiman sweater projects ... there is a geekified one.